Nick Albertson re-investigates the usefulness factor of existing objects and inserts new meaning into them. He strips utilitarian objects, such as paper clips, paper cups and rubber bands of their intended functionality. Using a painterly vernacular with modernist flourishes, Albertson then creates works from the inherent uniformity of these mass-produced materials resulting in new compositions and re-aestheticized landscapes.
Photo Spray, a new series, utilizes photo inks from inkjet printer cartridges and inkjet papers designed for photographic reproductions. The resultant images are formed by a hybrid application of standard inkjet printing along with hand-applied airbrushing. While not a photograph, these works are photographic in makeup. The works, made with photographic materials but created with more painterly techniques, seek to complicate the relationship between photography and other media.
His work has been exhibited in Chicago, Portland, Seattle, New York and internationally at the Pingyao International Photo Festival and Spokojna Gallery in Warsaw, Poland. In 2014, The Center for Photography at Woodstock mounted Albertson’s first institutional solo show: One Hundred Count and Nick will have a solo show at The SFO Museum in San Francisco opening in December, 2017.
Color Studies (Streamers) 27, 2016, archival inkjet print, 40" x 32", edition of 3
Color Studies (Streamers) 33, 2016, archival inkjet print, 40" x 32", edition of 3
Color Studies (Tape) 07, 2016, archival inkjet print, 15" x 12", edition of 1
Striped Napkins, 2014, archival pigment print, 30" x 37.5", edition of 3
Cones 2, 2014, archival pigment print, 30" x 37.5", edition of 3
Masking Tape, 2013, archival pigment print, 30" x 37.5", edition of 3
Pink Napkins, 2012, archival pigment print, 30" x 37.5", edition of 3
Rubber Bands 3, 2013, archival pigment print, 37.5" x 30", edition of 3
For more information, please email email@example.com or call 773-206-7354
- Nick Albertson reviewed in New City for Unrolled at Aspect/Ratio, 6/29/16
- Nick Albertson featured in BOOOOOOOM!, 9/25/15
- Nick Albertson interviewed in Adhoc, 7/28/15
- Nick Albertson interviewed in Wavepool, 4/7/15
- Nick Albertson in Visual Art Source, 2/14
- Nick Albertson in Chicago Art World, 2/11/14
- Nick Albertson & Jefferson Godard in CS Interiors, 1/2014
- Nick Alberston in IMA Living With Photography, 2013
- Nick Albertson in The Huffington Post, 8/13
- Nick Albertson in Hyperallergic, 3/14/2013